VNC on GNU/Linux will by default spawn a new X session for the login that ran
vncserver (kinda like Citrix MetaFrame).  A hack exists to make it so that
session :0 gets shared:
http://www.hexonet.de/software/x0rfbserver/

If working with a slow link to view try TightVNC.  TightVNC has different
settings for image quality and compression that I have found to help speed up
drawing of the screen on a dial-up connection.

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ