On Thursday 14 February 2002 11:16 pm, Yaron wrote:
<snip>
> Being a complete dork, I didn't test the first wire I put in. I just put
> in about 12, punched everything down (using the 568B scheme), and THen
> plugged a machine in one end and patched over to the switch on the other
> end.
>
> Link light comes on, 100M light comes on, DHCP server sees machine send
> request, machine doesn't see DHCP server send reply.
>
> I tested all the cables outside the walls and they're fine. I tried
> several different machines and NICs, and it looks like they can all
> transmit and not receive.
<snip>

If machines on both ends can transmit and not receive, then you have a
confused wiring problem somewhere.  Make sure that the white/colored side
of each pair is the same on both ends.  If you have dual-labeled 568A/B
jacks, double and triple check that you looked at the right scheme.
They're not that different, and this has frequently been my problem when
I've screwed up the wiring scheme. :(  I would take John up on his offer
to loan you a tester that will show you which pairs are working and which
are not.

Dan