On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 21:56, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 21:34, Dave Sherman wrote:
> > I already run snort (and have since day one), and it has logged lots of IP
> > addresses and blocked them.
>
> snort doesn't "block" attackers. At least not without a 3d party module
> that sets iptables(or ipchains) rules.

Yes, you are correct of course. I forgot that I was also running
Guardian :-)

> And it _is_ possible to spoof
> ones IP address. It's non-trivial, but can be done. It's a matter of
> sending cutom built packets. It's used when attacking servers that are
> configured to allow certain hosts access to certain IP addresses. I
> don't know the details of such attacks, but I know it's possible.

That would be interesting to see. How does a do packets destined for a
server's own interface address ever leave the box to get to a spoofing
system?

Dave
--
Beware the wrath of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.