On Monday 11 February 2002 21:13, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> Lee J. Behrens wrote:
> > For me personally, Win2K has a much better TOC than Linux. Why? Most
> > of my experience is with Windows.
>
> ...and that about sums it up for most "IT" Managers as well, those that
> are under pressure to deliver a "platform" that users are "used to" and
> "comfortable with"; desktops that have "intuitive designs" and are "easy
> to navigate".
>
> Having worked at two places now where I wear the hats of Systems Manager
> and Technical Support, I can agree that every skill level and preference
> for computing environments is represented at any business or
> organization.  Some people can be directed with a few hints, and other
> people must be led by the hand.

Having provided that role in more than two places I agree whole-heartedly!

The reappearance of this thread and the arrival of the current PCConnections
catalog yesterday got me thinking about an analysis I did when Win2K first
came out. At that time I dubbed it "The Guru Exchange Rate". I decided to
breakout the calculator and revisit the analysis based on "current pricing".

Scenerio: Small Business with:
35 Workstations (Mix of Win 9x, NT Workstation, and 2000 Professional)
50% MS Office penetration: 18 Workstations. (Mix of Office 97 and Office 2K)
2 Windows NT Servers; 1 File and Print, 1 Exchange (and maybe Proxy)

Question: If a consultant (me) cost $500/day for onsite consulting (I do)
then how many days of me onsite can this Business get for installation and
training/support for the cost of upgrading all systems to XP Professional and
Office XP?

Answer: Based on the current PCConnections catalog the cost of upgrades are:
$200/WS - Windows XP Professional - Total Upgrade cost = $7000 = 14 days
$280/WS - Office XP Professional - Total Upgrade cost = $5040 = ~10 days

Assumptions:
Average time per workstation install (using SuSE 7.3 Pro) = 1.5 hrs/WS
Total time required for WS installs = 52.5/hrs @ 8 hrs/day = ~ 7 days
Time available for training and support = ~17 days
Basic Linux training for 35 users in groups of 5 for 1 day class = 7 days
StarOffice training for 18 users in groups of 3 for 1 day class = 6 days
Remaining onsite support days = ~4

Its not a perfect analysis. But I think it provides a starting point for
discussion.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com