On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:46:04PM -0600, Jay Kline wrote:
> Ok, I think I got it...   a bad stick of memory.  I pulled it out, and my
> system seems stable now, though noticably slower :-(  (down to 256Mb)

[Attempt at answering many questions from this thread at once]

Temperature monitoring:

http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

If anyone needs the sensors.conf for the SiS 735 motherboards you can
contact me privately. The above program is for interfacing with the
actual devices on the motherboard, I use an X app called wmalms that sits
nicely in the taskbar:

http://www.geocities.com/wmalms/

BIOS:

If you're running an SiS 735 motherboard, or any other really, make sure
you're running the latest BIOS when you encounter odd problems like this.

Watching the temperature of the system from the BIOS is misleading, the
system is doing virtually nothing, so the temperature drops quickly, I
notice a sharp increase when running processor intensive tasks (compiling,
rtcw, dnetc) while the rest of the time it will hover around 125F
(Athlon 1.3ghz "c" core) if anyone else with an athlon system uses
temperature monitors I would be interested in hearing what their average
temperature is, I could find no data on AMD's website about what they
should be, and what safe limits were =/

--
Matthew S. Hallacy                               CACU, PWGCS, and BOFH Certified
http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                         GPG public key 0x01938203