I don't think you can compare them on such a broad manner.  The cost of
something depends on more factors than are being acknowledged.

Extreme 1

If you are a smaller business not at all involved in anything technical, a
seed corn company for example, your only real option is windows.  You can't
justify learning Linux when the knowledge doesn't benefit other aspects of
your business.  You also can't afford to hire anyone, as they will be doing
nothing most of the time.  In the end you just need a few computers and
something like MS Office to do basic business accounting/mailings/etc. with
a small customer database.  You only have five machines or so and every
seems to have Windows and MS Office experience. So, in that situation,
you're obligated to use Windows.  It is beyond your means to use anything
else.

Mind you small businesses can take advantage of Linux consultants, however,
this example business won't even be pushing their Windows boxes to the
limits.  They don't care or need what Linux can do for them, windows is
always cheaper than a good consultant.

Extreme 2

You are a huge business providing financial services, a bank for example.
You have a huge cluster of computers running thousands of transactions per
second.  Your costs are the cost to put Win XP Advanced Server on each box,
plus a server support employee, plus the Microsoft Support contract.  Any
downtime when running mission critical applications costs more than all your
machines, software, and employees put together.  The performance of
Win2k(XP?) is not as good as a Linux platform customized just to run your
app, so with Windows you need more machines and more Windows licenses.

The price you pay for a good Linux support employee is offset by the money
you avoid loosing with less downtime, better performance, an no per/CPU
costs.

Just my $0.02.

David Blevins