On Sunday 10 February 2002 02:39 pm, you wrote:
> I have heard that this is not the best thing to do, as it dosnt control the
> flow of air as well, dose anyone have any thoughts on that?

Depends on how well your box is designed, and on how well the fans actually
get the air moving, which is to say that it varies tremendously.

> Also, what should be the average running temp of an Athlon system? The bios
> tells me the temp, and I can let it set there for a while to get a better
> reading.

Mine tends to run about fifteen degrees above room temperature in the box,
and another five to ten higher on the CPU.  Whether this is good or bad, I
dunno, and I'm not sure if frequent disk accesses -- very common while the
machine is running; not nearly so when it's just sitting there, powered on --
won't up the temperature significantly.  Check out the temperature after
you've rebooted from a crash; that might give a good indication if you've got
a heat problem.

If so, it should be cheap to fix -- fans are cheap.

> Jay
>
> On Sunday 10 February 2002 10:49 am, you wrote:
> > I had a lot of bizzare CPU problems as well.  Turned out to be heat.   I
> > would try to simply pull your case off and let it run free.  Maybe point
> > a fan at the cpu.
> >
> > My system would just up and lock no oops or panics or anything
> >
> > On Saturday 09 February 2002 17:13, you wrote:
> > > the other major thing is the software you have running.  if you have
> > > windows running its always gunna be more crashprone then UNIX.  try
> > > different software to see if somthing running in the background is
> > > either conflicting with the software or mabye the software you are
> > > trying to run is reliant on somthing that isnt there.  iduno though, im
> > > still kindof a n00b.

There's a widow in sleepy Chester
  Who weeps for her only son;
There's a grave on the Pabeng River,