On Saturday 09 February 2002 05:39 pm, you wrote:
> Jay Kline <list at slushpupie.com> wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to an Athlon XP 1800+, and since then have been
> > having my computer just lock up from time to time.  I know there is the
> > "bug" (or whatever its being called) that requires the mem=nopentium
> > option on boot, and I have done that.  I have yet to figure out what
> > triggers the lock up, other than I am always in X (but then, I am ALWAYS
> > in X).  There is nothing in any log files I can find- it is almost as if
> > the computer were unplugged. Anyone have any hints on this?
>
> Do you have a relatively recent kernel (>2.4.10)?  I know I had problems
> with earlier ones, especially when the system ran out of memory.  Do you
> have a mem/swap/cpu meter going on your desktop anywhere?  It might help
> analyze the problem.

Yes, I am running 2.4.17- I had to recompile because Athlon support wasnt in
the kernel, so I decided to try the new one.  Do you think I should try 2.4.9?

I keep xosview up and running almost all the time, and with 512Mb of memory,
I dont run out (I rarely do anything that intesnsive).  The CPU is never at
full throttle when it dies, I have seen it at 0%, to maybe 15%, rarely above
that.

Jay

--
Jay Kline
list at slushpupie.com
http://www.slushpupie.com
--
Good day to deal with people in high places; particularly lonely stewardesses.