Jay Kline wrote:

> I recently upgraded to an Athlon XP 1800+, and since then have been having my
> computer just lock up from time to time.  I know there is the "bug" (or
> whatever its being called) that requires the mem=nopentium option on boot,
> and I have done that.  I have yet to figure out what triggers the lock up,
> other than I am always in X (but then, I am ALWAYS in X).  There is nothing
> in any log files I can find- it is almost as if the computer were unplugged.
> Anyone have any hints on this?
>
> Jay

Is your machine locked up, or is X locked up?  I've got an Athlon 800 which
is occasionally locking up in X, but I can log in from a terminal and kill X,
and everything works fine after that (until it locks up again).

The mem=nopentium option doesn't seem to have any affect on this problem, as
far as I can tell.

I have run this machine for a year with RedHat 6.1 and a 2.2.18 kernel without
troubles.  The lockup has begun since I upgraded to RedHat 7.1 with it's default
2.4.x kernel.