--

I'm getting exactly the same problem; if you find a solution, please let me
know.

In the interim, by replacing "nvidia" with "nv" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 , I
can use the default nvidia drivers, rather than the spiffy new ones from
NVidia.

There's a widow in sleepy Chester
  Who weeps for her only son;
There's a grave on the Pabeng River,