hello,
    I'm having issues with getting my new video card setup properly, and I'm hoping that the problem is just me and my inexperience.  I'm just not sure what I might have done wrong, or what else to try.  here's the deal:

I have an Athlon 1700 with an SGI VR3 Quadro video card.  The card is basically a standard nVidia Quadro but put out by SGI.  This card was initially released only in SGI's 330 and 550 NT/Linux boxes.  SGI has some files on their site, but I'm not sure if these are to be used only with their workstations, or anytime you use this card. ( http://support.sgi.com/linux/downloads/ )  Their files are all older, and because everything I've found says that they use the same drivers that nVidia puts out, I installed the most current drivers from nVidia's site. ( http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux )  The install went very smoothly (as far as I can tell), but when I try to startx, it won't go, and I get an error saying:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(EE) Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found

would anyone be able to push me in the right direction to figure this out.  I'm not sure what info may be the most helpful to someone wanting to help, but let me know and I'll supply what I can.  If it matters, I'm running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.17.

thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff Schmidt