Eric Stanley wrote:

> This sounds like the same problem I had.  Since it is kernel v2.4.5 is
> it Slackware 8.0?  If so, I did several things and I'm not sure what
> fixed it, but here's what I'd try if I were doing it again.

Yes, Slack 8.0.

> The module(s?) you want are ip_tables and iptable_filter.  They are
> both located in /lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter.  Make
> sure they are loaded.

Okay, here's my rc.iptables file.  I noticed that I'm not loading the
iptable_filter, but I also get the message that the nat table isn't found.  Same
thing?  BTW, I took this script out of last month's LJ.

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
export PATH
IPT=/usr/sbin/iptables

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

insmod ip_tables
insmod ip_nat_ftp
insmod ip_conntrack_ftp

for i in filter nat mangle
do
$IPT -t $i -F
$IPT -t $i -X
done

$IPT -t filter -N tcprules
$IPT -t filter -A tcprules -i ppp+ -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

$IPT -t filter -A tcprules -i ! ppp+ -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
$IPT -t filter -A tcprules -i ppp+ -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP
$IPT -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp+ -s 10.0.0.0/24 -d 0/0 -j MASQUERADE
$IPT -t filter -A INPUT -j tcprules
$IPT -t filter -A FORWARD -j tcprules
$IPT -t filter -P INPUT DROP
$IPT -t filter -P FORWARD DROP
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

> If that doesn't work, upgrade to iptables 1.2.4 (Slack comes with
> 1.2.3).  You'll probably want to remove the iptables package first.
>
> If that doesn't work recompile the kernel with the appropriate
> configuration and install that kernel.

Unfortunately, if it comes to recompiling the kernel I'm not familiar with that
procedure and haven't the foggiest on what to do there.  Yeah, yeah, I know "read
the kernel how-to."  Unfortunately, haven't had time to.