On Thursday 07 February 2002 02:18 pm, you wrote:

> >> And when would be a better time to persuade
> >> people not to use the "swiss cheese of emailers"?
> >
> >When there's a viable alternative -- from their POV. Read Jerry
> > Pournelle's columns, for example. Jerry hates the flaws in Outlook, but
> > he finds some of its features unavailable elsewhere, and very handy.
> >If, say, Evolution could do the hard stuff -- handling of task assignments
> >and meeting requests -- it would be a viable alternative for a lot of
> > folks. Right now, it's just a nice email program that sort of looks like
> > Outlook. Ditto for sylpheed.
>
> I've read Pournelle, and while
> I do have some respect for him, I don't
> agree with everything he has to say.

Me, neither.

> The message I'm getting is "Don't use
> the stick until you have a really good
> carrot to go with it". I don't agree. Let
> someone else grow and prepare the
> carrots, but bring on the sticks if you've
> got 'em. Soften 'em up.

Or, alternately, persuade people that these Linux wierdos will blame them for
doing something for which they don't have any alternative.

> >> It is definitely NOT "the standard".
> >
> >I guess we're arguing about definitions here.  I do think that it is the
> >standard in the business world, for example, and that millions of people
> > use it. Is it good?  Well, in many respects, no; in some respects, sure.
> > Is it the standard?  Yes.  Does it use the MIME standards by default?
> > Nah.
>
> Yes. We mean very different things when
> we say "the standard". Is it the standard? No.
>
> >>Is vCal going to go anywhere soon?
> >
> >I doubt it.  If you look at where the heavy development in the open source
> >world is, it's not for point-and-click tools to make the life of business
> >users easier.
>
> As far as I know, vCal isn't about
> 'point-and-click' anything. It is a calendaring
> exchange format/protocol standard.

Yup.  Just like vCard -- and the use of vCard, where it is used, is largely
in the point-and-click world, and it's not gotten terribly widespread
adoption.

--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester