Liz Burke-Scovill <kethatwork at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mike Jentges: Notes is only available as a server (aka
> Domino) on linux - no linux client is avaialbe yet -
> HOWEVER, depending on the implementation of the db's,
> it's possible to use a web browser as a client - it
> takes more work, and will require upgrading any db's
> that are client-dependant.

Using Notes through the web is a pain.  From what I've seen, it uses a lot
of Java applets that don't always work all that well.  I've been able to
get the Lotus Notes client to install and run via WINE 20011226 (currently
in Debian testing), and that'd be my recommendation to anyone..  It's even
flakier than the client running on Windows, but it seems to work well
enough, and at a decent speed provided that you have a low-latency link
between yourself and the server.

If anyone knows of someone to pick on at IBM/Lotus about getting a
Linux-native client, I'd love to hear about it.  Basically, I just want to
tell someone, ``I'm running Lotus Notes client on Linux through WINE.  It
works, but it's not as good as a native client would be.  Please look into
creating a new client for Linux, or porting your current client, possibly
with WINElib.''

Of course, Notes is buggy as hell anyway, so if there's just a bug
reporting site, that'd be some great info to get as well..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If you're not part of the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   solution, you're part of