John Scherer <john at schererzoo.com> wrote:

> Now, heres my thought:
[snip]
> My thought was  having the router be the InstallNET backbone, with one
> 10/100 enet drop to each switch.  one switch per table.  Then if they
> need more drops at a table than the switch has available, they just add
> a hub/switch to the existing switch at the table (under InstallFest
> NetAdmin supervision)

Sure, that sounds like a good idea to me.  Hopefully, it'd make the
network a bit more fault-tolerant.  However, I worry about having a router
be the same box as a server.  IMO, it'd be best to have two boxes like
this, one handling routing/DHCP, and the other just talking to the
different networks and sharing data.  Of course, this doubles cabling, and
takes two ports on each switch rather than just one.

Of course, if someone was feeling brave, the NFS/FTP/HTTP server could
just have a gigabit NIC in it, and the router could have one gigabit plus
several 10/100 cards.  Then again, that still can cause problems if one of
the NICs gets disabled on purpose or by accident.

> PS:  Someone though of adding something to the nametags at future
> installfests to identify those who are _helpers_ or _admins_,  great
> idea.  I did the nametags you saw at the past weekends fest, and could
> add other info to the tags if desired.  I would just need to know who
> and what.

Well, considering that most helpers are best at one or two distributions,
it might be a good idea to leave space for one or two logos, or some other
way of saying how good someone is at something.  Things ranging from
Newbie to Uber-h4x0r or Follower to Disciple to Diety..

Of course, there's only so much that can fit on such a little rectangle of
paper..

Maybe we need to start giving out medals or other insignia ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   No. You said, "wet shirt
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   not break," not "piss shirt