On Tuesday 29 January 2002 10:09 am, Florin Iucha wrote:
> My opinion on this thread gravitates around a few themes:
>    1. Linux is not a product. "RedHat Linux" is a product.

Websters Dictionary:
Product
   1. Anything that is produced, whether as the result of
      generation, growth, labor, or thought.

Maybe IBM spent a billion dollars to promote and sell something other than
Linux for their servers.  Distributions are selling "Linux" as a commercial
advantage for their products within their particular wrapper.

> > > Dumb users will be happy to get Windows on their computers. They don't
> > > care about freedom (maybe they will care when it will be too late).
> > > They don't care about improving Linux. They just care about _their_
> > > problem. Let them be...
> >
> > I do care about freedom.  That is why I try to convince people to use
> > Linux.
>
> You are trying to solve a problem they don't have... No wonder they
> don't follow you...

Fist off, dumb users are not limited to Windows, and not all Windows users
are dumb.  I want people who do care about choice to be aware that Linux is
an option.  And I have been successful thankyou.  I'm not trying to "solve a
problem" except open their eyes to another OS.  Why does the world need 180+
distros?  It's a matter of choice as a user/consumer.  You tell me how
advocating Linux is "trying to solve a problem they don't have".  You seem
passionate about Linux, but not enough to share it with those people who
aren't technically involved in it.

I quess we will have to agree...to disagree.