On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 04:10, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> One of my boxes on the network is having extreme difficulty in
> communicating with the rest of the network.  If I do an ifconfig, I see
> upwards of half of the packets dropped:

Try changing the following things one at a time in an attempt to discern
the problem. Use something like "netperf" to test throughput.

Replace the Ethernet Cable
Replace the NiC
Try different switch ports

I recommend swapping each with one from a known good machine and testing
each against a third machine. A little hardware info might help as some
motheboard + NiC + driver combos are known to be bad.

The minimum info needed to help determine possible causes is as follows:
	Motherboard Make/Model (and chipset if they vary)
	NiC Make/Model
	OS / Kernel version and driver used (and wether or not it's a module)
	Switch or Hub make/model

In short, do some hardware swapping, and send more info so we can better
help....