I am new to TCLUG (first meeting was January), but I would like to volunteer
for the installfest.

I have done installs RH 5.2, 6.1 and 7.1.  Also have a machine that has
evolved from a Mandrake 7.0, 7.1, 8.0 and 8.1.  I have done FTP, NFS and even
installs with old proprietary SB CDROM drives.  IMHO, no installl is complete
until you have installed it several times, and had practice using backups.

I can always learn something new from the regulars.  I have been displaced
from my mainframe sys prog (OS/390) position since November, and I have found
a temporary volunteer assignment at our private Lutheran school (K-8) setting
up a computer lab with about 20 donated Pentium 120MHZ desktops. (48MB, 1GB
HD, no CDROM, 10/100 PCI NIC's).

I am not sure which direction I can steer the Board of Ed at the school, but
I have been working on configuring a Linux terminal server to run X on the
free pc's.  I am hoping I can leave the PC's intact for the proof of concept
with the original win95/98 os's that were left on the PC's and just netboot
off a floppy for linux.

I have found useful links to http://www.ltsp.org and www.k12ltsp.org for
school labs.  It is a challenge with the current distro's to make a server
fit on 1GB drive.  (If I prove it works, they will spend money on the server)

There is a outside group coming in the next day or so to offer consulting
services.  (I don't know if they will suggest an open source solution or
follow with a known M$ solution.)  The one thing I am certain I can sell the
school on is the TCO and the central administration of the 20 pc's in the lab
using Linux.

I doubt that we know where the licensing issue is with donated PC's.
Normally company's pay for OS upgrades and hang on to the original  license
and "scrub" the drives of any OS and applications before disposing of
equipment.

Anyway, the plus side to the LTSP server install so far is the school is on a
broadband cable internet pilot access for schools in our school district,
and I have been able to do net installs without CDROM's.

If anyone can provide me with any pointers for this project,  or experiences
with a Linx Terminal Server (web links, local applications, content filters,
proxy setup, firewall, DHCP and Cable routers co-existing, WINE setup with
LTSP configurations, Linux end-user presentations, linux in K12 schools,
etc.), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Curtis Merchant
curtis at tcq.net