On Monday 28 January 2002 15:57, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
<snip>

> Besides, the 'windows' GUI is not a Microsoft invention by any means. So
> why is there all this bruhaha? Microsoft copied Apple's GUI design. It is
> not that Microsoft has a superior methodology (snicker) but they realized
> that it just works for most users. With slight variation here and there, I
> don't see how any GUI is going to be very different. Maybe I am extremely
> dense and lacking in imagination, I could entertain that thought. However,
> I want to see this GUI that is so radically different and yet acceptable to
> most users out there.

<snip>

Of course you could take this a step further back to Xerox PARC and their
prototype systems that Jobs and company copied at Apple. If you do that then
the basic GUI design is about 25 years old, almost as old as the
micro-computer and Microsoft the company. Attempts to change the metaphor of
the desktop have met with mixed (okay mostly disasterous) results. Does
anyone remember Microsoft BoB? ;-) We will see new and different metaphors
come out of the various labs as we go on. I suspect some will be useful for
certain situations, others just "interesting hacks".

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com