Are you certain?  The servers that you specify with the domain registration
service are DNS servers which contain the records for your domain.  That
means the DNS servers specified for your domain need to contain the zone
info that matches your home's external IP address to your domain name.  I
only wonder about this because you seem to be trying to set up a DNS server
of your own.  What you might want to do is get a domain registrar that will
take care of the DNS stuff and forward all requests to whatever your
external IP address is.  I think register.com does this, though I'm not 100%
certain of it.  Just taking a quick look at gkg.net, with whom I'm
unfamiliar, it looks to me like it's just a vanilla domain registrar, not
providing a lot of extra services.  However, I could be wrong...I didn't
actually start the registration process to see what they ask for.

> Here's where I am trying to accomplish:  <external IP> registers
> as www.domain.com, and when going to URL pulls up domain's website.
> Here's what I get: <external IP> registers as hostx.real-time.com (they're
> my ISP), when going to my domain's website, it comes up not found.
>   Here's my setup:  DSL with block of IP's, DSL-router  --> hub -->
> smoothwall --> internal hub.  Also, I have a DMZ coming off of smoothwall
> that goes to another hub for webservers.  Currently, I have my domain
> pointed to my firewall which has port 80 forwarding to an internal IP.
This should work for standard http connections.  You have a lot of places
where you could see problems, though.  I'm not familiar with smoothwall at
all, but I would suggest taking the firewall out, and trying to access your
site then (assuming your DSL router is what's performing the network address
translation).  If it works, then it's a firewall setup issue.  If not,
you're going to have more troubleshooting to go.  You might find it helpful
to telnet to port 80 of your IP address so you can see the responses being
generated, if any.

>   I'm trying to build a DNS server, but I'm a little confused on the
> different zones.  I'm reading the O'Rielly Linux Network Admin book, but
> it doesn't seem to help too much.  Can either somone point me to a little
> clearer info source, or explain the differences to me?
O'Rielly DNS & BIND, latest edition is currently 4 -- the Bible of DNS.  It
does teach to BIND, which many people tend to put down.  Whatever.  It is
very good at explaining how DNS works in general, and you can take that ino
and apply it to whatever DNS server you care to run.

> The other questions are:  Is it that my domain isn't coming up because
> I'm only currently doing caching DNS from Smoothwall, or that I'm pointing
> to the wrong place?
Assuming that you are trying to serve DNS from your home network, you are
going to have to let DNS packets in through the firewall as well.  DNS uses
mostly udp port 53, but you should also let through tcp port 53.  The domain
name then needs to have your internet-visible IP address set as one of its
nameservers (presumably, you would be primary - I don't know what you could
do for a secondary).

> Also, is the DMZ supposed to be an internal or
> external IP address?
In general, you should be able to make either work.

> I'm also planning on running sendmail, but I'll ask
> further on that when I get these things set up more.
>   I went through the GKG website and a couple of other things, but I
> couldn't find anything that really gave definate descriptors of how things
> are supposed to be setup.  Either that, or it was above my limited scope
> of understanding.
In general here, I get the impression that you might be in just a little bit
over your head - you seem to know enough to be dangerous, at any rate.
Still, if you don't aim high, you don't learn nearly as much.  Getting the
O'Reilly DNS & Bind book would be the place I recommend you start.

Good luck,
Dan