On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 04:02, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Looks like maybe your DSL router got compromised and they setup SMTP port
> forwarding SMTP traffic?
>
> Or you got NAT running on the DSL router with port forwarding?

Yes, I was running postfix, but no more. I wasn't really using it for
anything (yet) anyway. And I have disabled port forwarding for the time
being -- I can afford to take my server offline for a couple of days to
clean up this mess. <sigh>

According to my logs, someone started abusing the mail server on Feb
3rd. Normally, Postfix sends me a daily report of mail processed, but of
course I've been so busy the last two days that I didn't bother to read
the report -- if I had, I would've seen the large amounts of mail being
processed and known right away that something was wrong.

"Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom." Unfortunately, I got
somewhat lax in the vigilance department.

Tripwire hasn't found anything unusual, so that's good I guess. It looks
like it was only my mail server that was compromised. I also manually
checked modification dates on ps, etc. just to make sure.

I have checked the /dev directory for odd-looking items, but nothing
sent up an alarm. I also rebooted, and checked /proc for anything
unusual.

Is there anything else anyone might recommend to me, besides formatting
and reinstalling the system (which I intend to do Real Soon Now (TM)
anyway, to upgrade to RH 7.2)?

Dave
--
Beware the wrath of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.