Please don't use smoothwall.  Among other problems, one of the developers
installed a backdoor in it awhile back.  After people figured it out, he was
kicked out of the development group.  2 weeks later they let him back in
because he said someone hacked his machine and put it in acting as him.
Even if that is true, if someone can break into his box and put backdoors in
smoothwall, it's certainly not something I would use.

Read their mailing list archives.  Of course, that whole thread may have
been removed by Dick Morrell the lead dictator/developer.

jay