On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 06:59:47PM -0600, Bill Layer wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:03:53 -0600
> Ben Stallings <Ben at Workscited.Net> wrote:
>
> > Then there's the other unexplained phenomenon in the Bermuda Triangle of
> my > /dev directory.  If I want to hotsync my Handspring Visor, which uses
> a USB > cradle, I have to manually create /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1
> and give them > appropriate rw permissions.  Then, after I use them, they
> disappear.
>
> Yeah, and while we're at it, can someone please explain the Mystery of the
> Changing Permissions in the /dev/ tree of RedHat based systems? Many perms
> seem to change based on who is logged in on some console / terminal.. like
> ownership of dsp, mixer and certain disk devices.

Well, the user logged on at the console has the default pair of speakers
anyway, and presumably is the only one able to use the floppy in the
machine. So instead of asking you to add yourself to the proper groups,
they are being nice and preparing the environment for you.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4