devfs.  It's a "known" problem with mandrake 8.1, at least it is around here. Everytime you reboot Mandrake automatically recreates the dev file system based on what devices are pluged in I belive.  [Correct me if I'm wrong]. We were able to correct much of the wierdness by monkeying around with the config scripts in /etc.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan