ON Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 05:41:22PM -0600, John J. Trammell wrote:
> I'd be interested in a link to some documentation on what exactly
> they *are* for.  Most of what I've found says that X-headers are
> pretty much up to the user.

After rereading RFC822, I'm forced to agree with you. It leaves the
disposition of the "X-" namespace specifically to individual users.

I still don't think it's a good idea, however. The headers are primarily
intended for administrative or non-human (do I repeat myself?) use and
manu MUAs won't even show most of them. Besides, we already have the
Internet equivalent of a bumper: a signature file.

> > and putting 4 or 5 of them in every email dilutes your message and
> > can make you look like a crank.
>
> OK, how about 1 or 2?  :)

OK, but you'd better make them count.

--