On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 03:19:25PM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:
[snip]

> As an aside, I'll probably shut off the hack because I like Jacque :-), but I'm
> interested in your opinions. In a world of IE only web sites, Windows only
> attachements, is this really that bad of a thing?

Neat hack.  Maybe someone with more email savvy knows better, but here's all
I could find about it in RFC 822 [http://sunsite.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc822.html]:

    4.7.5.  USER-DEFINED-FIELD

             Individual users of network mail are free to  define  and
        use  additional  header  fields.   Such fields must have names
        which are not already used in the current specification or  in
        any definitions of extension-fields, and the overall syntax of
        these user-defined-fields must conform to this specification's
        rules   for   delimiting  and  folding  fields.   Due  to  the
        extension-field  publishing  process,  the  name  of  a  user-
        defined-field may be pre-empted

        Note:  The prefatory string "X-" will never  be  used  in  the
               names  of Extension-fields.  This provides user-defined
               fields with a protected set of names.

Not surprising that Outlook users worry when messages do things
that catch them by surprise.  :-)

--
johntrammell at yahoo.com | 78BA 706C C5F9 9321 E7C4 933B D063 907B A88E 924B