ON Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 03:19:25PM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Couple of weeks ago, I put this into my .muttrc
>
> my_hdr X-message-flag:          Outlook is a breeding ground for viruses. See http://cws.internet.com/mail.html for alternatives
[...]
> Today I got 7 posts from TCLUG members complaining about my outlook hack. 1
> (Thanks Jacque) was professional. The other 6 where nasty.
>
> To respond to one of the messages, I have never had sexy with my mother. :-P
>
> So, the point. This mailing list is for LINUX users, my little hack does not
> effect ANY MUA under Linux -and- it only effects 1 specific MUA; Outlook.
>
> So, shut off the hack? If so why? If not, why?
>
> As an aside, I'll probably shut off the hack because I like Jacque :-), but I'm
> interested in your opinions. In a world of IE only web sites, Windows only
> attachements, is this really that bad of a thing?

I'd avoid putting advocacy in X-headers; it's not what they were allowed
for, and putting 4 or 5 of them in every email dilutes your message and
can make you look like a crank. If you are a crank, you can grind your ax
in your (on-topic) message or your .sig.

Regarding Outlook, I think it's better to request plain text copies of HTML
or Word documents, and to write back "Excuse me, but did you send me this
message about @#@^#&!U!YH!J\\1\21?" when you get a virus-authored Outlook
message, than to broadcast a putdown to anybody happening to use the MUA that
came with their machine.

--
Michael