Clay Fandre wrote:
> We've had this discussion a few months ago. No one could give me a
> good reason why we should register the group as non-profit. (execpt
> for tax-deducting donated HW, which there isn't any)

There may not be any TCLUG owned hardware at the moment, but Bob could
easily deduct the cost for the server and it's bandwidth as business
provided charity.

For example (just an example):

    Equipment               $400 (est. cost of server for 1xdonation)
    Co-Location             $100/month (just a guess)
    Labor                   $20/hr * 5 hr/month (another guess)
    ----------------------  -------------------------------
    Recurring Subtotal      $2,400/year
    Annual Total            $2,800/year

That may not seem like a lot, but in truth, it adds up.  Even if Bob
only charged $25/month for the co-location, that's still a $300
charitable donation.

Remember a few months ago when one of the TCLUG members wanted to donate
a collection of magazines and books as the start of the TCLUG Library?
How much do you think that estimated donation would equate to?  A few
hundred dollars?  A formal nonprofit organization would be beneficial in
establishing a tax deduction for this gift to the person donating.

I think TCLUG is past the critical mass in membership it needs to
sustain itself.  In fact, we're large enough to have our own SIG's.
Take tclug-devel for example.  Maybe it is time we address Linux for
Noobeez. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)