On Monday 04 February 2002 11:27 am, John J. Trammell wrote:
> I agree.  Any TCPC members who want to "join" (whatever that means)
> the LUG can do so, and likewise I presume.  No need to make any sort
> of formal arrangement between the two.

What would be the negative aspects of a formal arrangment between TCPC and
TCLUG?  What benefits could such an arrangement bring to both communities?

The following is my opinion of TCLUG as a new Linux user (and may not be all
that well thought out):

One negative aspect concerning TCLUG is it's comlete lack of formality as
concerns the nonprofit status and so forth.  Could TCPC better serve new
Linux users than TCLUG if they were to add a Linux SIG to their already
impressive list of 15 SIGs?

I see three primary benefits TCLUG provides to new users at no cost (and
there are probably others):

1. Mail list
2. Install Fest
3. A wealth of knowledge given freely by very experienced members.

The downfalls are (and there may be more):

1. No BOD, By-laws, and lacking nonprofit status.
2. No regularly scheduled discussion group (except beer meetings).  This
seems to contribute to little followup learning after the install
fest...kinda like "I got linux installed...now what?"
3. For whatever reason, I don't see much involvement in TCLUG by new Linux
users concerning the direction of our LUG.

I joined TCLUG just as I began using Linux approx. 4 months ago.  These are a
few things I noticed in that time.