on 2/1/02 6:10 PM, Jon Schewe at jpschewe at mtu.net wrote:

> Michael J Flaherty <mikeflaherty at mn.rr.com> writes:
>
>> The "hardware browser" identifies the card correctly but it is not properly
>> configured, as far as I can tell.  I am positive that there are no IRQ or I/O
>> conflicts.
>
> Upon what are you basing this statement?  Did you actually jumper the card and
> make sure that those are valid?

I *was* basing it on the fact the hardware was working and conflict free
under windows.  Not so with Linux though.

In addition to video and usb on the motherboard, I have the following ISA
cards:

1 is a PnP Compu-shack NIC, IRQ 11, jumperable
1 is a non-PnP Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 5, jumperable
1 is the Adaptec 1502AV SCSI adapter that won't work, IRQ 10, no jumpers to
change on the card

Entering more /proc/interrupts  with the SCSI card removed yields the
following:

       CPU0
0:     20428      XT-PIC   timer
1:     109          "      keyboard
2:      0           "      cascade
5:     3316         "      Soundblaster
8:      1           "      rtc
10:     0           "      usb-uhci
11:     10          "      NE2000
12:     24          "      PS/2 Mouse
14:     4815        "      ide 0
15:     0           "      ide 1
NMI:    0
ERR:    0

Linux assigns IRQ 10 to the usb host controller on the motherboard which
creates a conflict with the SCSI adapter.  Installing the SCSI adapter and
re-starting inspires the kernel to assign the usb IRQ 9 and to assign IRQ 10
to my ethernet card, putting *it* into conflict with the SCSI card and
causing eth0 to fail.

Under 98SE, the usb, SCSI card, and network card were IRQ 9,10, and 11
respectively.

I've disabled PnP in BIOS to no avail.

I need to figure out how to get the kernel to assign IRQ 9 (or 8 or 7,
anything but 10...) to the usb without having it also change the network
card/module to 10, thus creating a new conflict in its attempt to resolve
the first conflict.

> Since you state that you're eth0 stops
> working, I'd bet that you do have a conflict.

Yep.

>  After you fixthe conflict use
> the following to get it work.
> As a module:
> insmod aha152x aha152x=0x<io addr>,<irq>
> In the kernel:
> append ="aha152x=0x<io addr>,<irq>"

Thank you very much.  That's exactly what I was looking for.

But how will I resolve the IRQ allocation problem ?

Thanks again Jon,

MJF