On Monday 02 December 2002 09:06 pm, Jim Streit wrote:
> I'm running a sendmail 8.11.6 mail server behind a firewall.  I allow
> internal users get mail from the server with POP3 and send messages out
> with SMTP thru the server.  I did this by allowing the local network to
> relay off the server

First SHUT-OFF pop and turn on pop-ssl and/or imap-ssl. Don't let your
username and passwords be sprayed all over the Internet.

For the rest of your questions:

Extended Features of Sendmail (SMTP AUTH and STARTTLS)
http://www.mn-linux.org/members/tanner/presentations/Sendmail+SMTP_AUTH/html/Sendmail+SMTP_AUTH.htm

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500