On 27 Aug 2002 12:23:04 -0500
Brent Metzler <linux at bmetzler.org> wrote:

> I just noticed on the back of the latest Tiger Direct catalog that
> they were selling Via C3 processors.  In fact, they were only $20
> more then a comparable Duron mhz wise.
>
> I haven't heard of the C3 processor before.  Does anyone know
> anything about it?  What makes it special?  Is it worth the extra
> money?
>
> Their product page (http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/c3.jsp) claims
> that it's Linux compatible.
>
> It looks like with the right hardware this could be made into a
> small quiet thinstation for the living room.
>
> Any thoughts?

Via bought Cyrix a while back and have tried to revive the
bargain-basement chip manufacturer. I had a few old CyrixInstead PR225
and PR300 chips back then, PR standing for Pentium Rated. They were
socket 7 chips that ran incredibly hot. They weren't the stablest
chips on the block, and my boxes had a tendency to eat CPU fans. (one
fan warped its piece of spring steel so bad it lost its spring, and
the fan simply fell off).
I gave away that same machine with a different fan at the last
installfest.
I dunno if Via has greatly improved the chip but it is touted as a
low-power, low-cost chip for low-end laptops and workstations. Haven't
heard much since Via's initial statement upon aquisition.

--
               -Kevin Hinze

rudie at rudie.net     |  rudie at sihope.com
hinz0047 at tc.umn.edu | http://rudie.net