On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 01:31:14PM -0500, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 07:51:59AM -0500, Yaron wrote:
>
> Do the math, do you really think 64M of swap is enough on a 32M system?

It depends on what is being run on the system, of course. I've got
a 486 with 32 MB of RAM that never hits swap, so 64 MB is plenty.
I'd say if you ever need more than 2*RAM for swap then its time
to start trying to dig up some more RAM.

> Is 8 gigs of swap excessive on a a 4G box? obviously it is considering
> there was a 128M limit at one point, and people have had >64M of ram for
> quite a while.

8 gigs of swap on a server is not necessarily excessive.  Its a
lot nicer to have the swap available in unexpected usage
conditions (say getting slashdotted, for example), than to have
the box fail because of lack of memory.

> > Or you're running three or four VMWare instances. Or are doing a lot of
> > video editing. Or both. While compiling stuff.
>
> and 128M of ram + 256M of swap is enough for this? I don't think so.

No, 256 MB swap wouldn't be enough in that case.  Performance
would be so awful with say 1 GB of swap and 128 MB of RAM that
its pretty much a moot point though.  I doubt Yaron would try
to run 3 or 4 VMware instances, much less do the other stuff,
if he only had 128 MB of RAM.