Austad, Jay wrote:
> Ok, I cannot get the perl GD module to compile.  I have gd-2.0.1 installed,
> and when I do a "install GD" in CPAN, it compiles fine, but 9/10 tests
> during the "make test" fail.  I have no idea why.
>
> Previously I had perl version 5.005, but when I installed a different module
> via CPAN, it upgraded my perl to 5.8.0.  Could it have something to do with
> this?
>
> Jay

1. Does anyone know how to turn the "auto-upgrade to new Perl version"
feature of CPAN *off*?  I find it very, *very* annoying when I'm trying
to add a module to a system that should not, for whatever reason, get
Perl 5.<latest>.0 just now.

2. What I always do in this situation is go into the
~<cpan-user>/.cpan/build/<module> directory, and do all of the following:

  make clean
  rm Makefile
  perl -w Makefile.PL
  make
  make test

  Many times I see the cause of the error using this process, when it
either is not reported, or flashes by before I notice it, in the CPAN shell.