On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 10:34, Amy Tanner wrote:
> Where I work, we currently have about 50 Linux boxes (that number is rapidly
I keep on thinking I've got at least 150, perhaps closer to 200.  Neat
thing about a good system of working is when you don't actually know
when a pin drops or something changes because others have taken care of
it behind your back. :)

> growing).  We do not purchase software support for any of them.  We just
Ditto.  There is a wealth of great information out there on the net, and
people here will help in a pinch.  I've got no qualms 'learning' along
with others on the list by providing help.

> commercial Linux support.  The only commercial software we run on Linux
> is Oracle and I think we do have support for that.  Hardware support,
> on other other hand, can be useful.

We've got a few commercial packages, and unless they directly harm your
company if it breaks badly, its not worth it.  Perhaps for things like
oracle a 'per incident' package might be worth it.  Perhaps finding an
oracle dba if it really matters that much. :)

Most commercial software companies are good enough to make the software
installable and supportable, otherwise their market uses other software.

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/