You will hit a limit based on the number of open file descriptors. I dont know
the limit off hand in linux, but if you have apache virtual servers with
their own error and access logs (2 open files each) plus serving files (each
served file needs to be opened) you will hit the max in linux somewhere just
beyond 200 sites if I remember correctly.  The limit can be modified if you
need to go higher, or you can play tricks like have 2 instances of apache
running on the same server. If you are talking about an intranet server, IP's
are cheap and you can give each copy of apache its own IP.

Jay