> That said, though, I was *really* trying to show the individual that it
> would be better to completely remove unneeded (and inwanted) services,
> than to simply disable them. Thus my instructions about rpm.

Unfortunately the two conflict, renaming files contained in a package is
a bad idea, because they won't be cleanly removed if he decides he really
doesn't need the serivce, and tries to rpm -e (or apt-get remove)

But yes, I totally agree about removing the unneeded packages, if nothing
else it saves time when you don't have to download updates for packages
you aren't using.

And then..... There's dependancies. More dependancies. Then there's those nasty dependancy issues.

-mj