On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 08:34:13PM -0500, Dave Sherman wrote:

> Y'know, I've heard of chkconfig, but never used it. Somewhere along the
> way, I learned how to deal directly with the appropriate files, with no
> need (or even desire) for a front-end. Nevertheless, I think chkconfig
> is probably a better way of doing things, even if I never bother to use
> it.
>
> That said, though, I was *really* trying to show the individual that it
> would be better to completely remove unneeded (and inwanted) services,
> than to simply disable them. Thus my instructions about rpm.

Unfortunately the two conflict, renaming files contained in a package is
a bad idea, because they won't be cleanly removed if he decides he really
doesn't need the serivce, and tries to rpm -e (or apt-get remove)

But yes, I totally agree about removing the unneeded packages, if nothing
else it saves time when you don't have to download updates for packages
you aren't using.