After thinking about this for another moment, I remembered in order to
boot off of those two drives, I had to set "SCSI device" as the first
boot-up device in my BIOS. Bear in mind, I am running mine in RAID0. I
can't recall for certain, but I have a slight inkling that my
motherboard can't boot off of those IDE channels unless they're in a
RAID configuration...

Hope this helps,
John

John Hoffoss writes:
> It's perhaps a simple thing, but my mobo has a jumper on it to
> enable IDE3 and IDE4 as RAID, and if it's not set to that, then
> they are both just two more IDE channels. Both now, and when you
> were trying to get your RAID to work, are you certain you had the
> jumper set correctly? And is the RAID device now disabled in BIOS?
> I think my mobo will have the drives show up when the IDE
> controller initializes, but I had problems at one point because I
> had set the BIOS setting wrong.

Hm.  I can see how that might have made it impossible for me to use
the device as a RAID device, but what I'm doing IS grabbing these two
drives up as just two more IDE channgels (hde and hdf), so why would
that make the device unbootable?

I did tweak something in the RAID bios to (allegedly) make the drive
bootable, but that doesn't seem to have done anything (the BIOS
interface, even for a BIOS, which is always crude, is just plain
TERRIBLE).
Minnesota
http://www.mn-linux.org
tclug-list at mn-linux.org