in order to display something on an X server, a few pieces of information are
needed. First, where to display.  X apps use the envionment varible DISPLAY
to indicate what X server to connect to. Assuming you didnt change anything,
from the root console, try typing this before the command:

export DISPLAY=:0

This tells the app to use the localhost (what goes before the colon) on
display 0.

The other information needed is its authorization.  Thats what the xhost does.
It will allow anyone from the localhost to display on the X server.  Be aware
that xhost has some significant security issues, and I dont recomend using
it. The authorization can also come in the form of cookies (kinda like
browsers) which is more secure than xhost, but not by much.

Jay