On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 14:49, Sreekumar Kodakara wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed RH6.2 in an embedded system. I found that the machine
> takes a long time to boot starting many daemons ( like sendmail etc) and
> also checking for new hardware which is not required in this system. I
> would be grateful to you if you can tell me how to prevent these
> to make the boot time faster.
> Thanks
> Sreekumar

If you only want to *disable* automatic startup of certain services at
boot, then look in the various /etc/rc.d/rc*.d directories, and delete
(or rename with a lower-case first letter 's') the startup scripts you
do not want to run. Note that these files are really just symlinks to
the real files in /etc/rc.d/init.d, so if you delete the links, your
actual startup scripts will remain intact for later use. Also, the rc*.d
directories are numbered based on the runlevel you boot into. If you
boot to a command prompt (no GUI), then rc3.d is the place to focus. If
you boot to X, then look in rc5.d.

But if you want to *remove* these services/applications, then just use
'rpm -e' to uninstall the software/services you don't need. The rpm
uninstall will take care of removing the startup scripts for you, in
addition to actually removing the software.

'man rpm' for other rpm options, like querying the rpm database to find
out what packages are installed in your system.

--
Dave Sherman        |     "They that can give up essential liberty
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA    |       to obtain a little temporary safety