On Thursday 15 August 2002 06:03 am, Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:49:56AM +0000, mcnixon at mchsi.com wrote:
> > I was fooling around with my grub.conf file and I
> > thought I'd try "hide(hd0,3)" which is of course my
> > extended partition, which includes /boot (in the 8th
> > partition) and /boot/grub/grub.conf
> > So when I rebooted I got a Grub Error 22 (No such
> > partition) in stage 2.
> > Is there some way for me to get into the grub shell and
> > easily undo this (with a unhide(hd0,3) command perhaps)?
> >
> > Anything else I might try to recover my extended
> > partition?
> > (I have the important stuff backed up if I need to start
> > from scratch).
>
> Do you have grub on a floppy? Boot off that.
>
> florin

I had to make a new Grub boot floppy that wasn't looking for the hidden
partition for its menu.lst (a sym link to grub.conf).  But once I booted to
this new floppy I got the Grub shell and was able to do the
	unhide(hd0,3)
and restart and everything worked!

(now its time to backup my linux partitions with ghost)

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Mike Nixon