On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Jamie Ostrowski wrote:

>      The reason my system wouldn't boot was because I hadn't recompiled
> the modules, and I'd neglected to set support for ext3. I've got that
> worked out, and the system boots, but I still get this error when I try to
> load my "experimental" module:
>
> bash-2.05# insmod hello2.o
> hello2.o: kernel-module version mismatch
> 	hello2.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.2-2
> 	while this kernel is version 2.4.19.
>

>     I am having a hard time finding documentation that will tell me how to
> determine whether or not the initrd image I am using has unversioned
> modules. Do you know how I may be able to tell?

With modversions turned off you can do an insmod -f and it will install.

The part of modversions that has always annoyed me is that it
is supposed to allow modules that are _compatible_ with the
current kernel to load regardless of the version they were
compiled against.

In practice this is a non-starter as the modversions change
with every kernel rev (and sometimes with each recompile).

--
Daniel Taylor
dante at plethora.net