It's a homebrew module from "Linux Device Drivers 2nd Edition"

   Here is the source for the module:

#define MODULE
#include <linux/module.h>

int init_module(void) { printk("<1>Hello, world\n"); return 0; }
void cleanup_module(void) { printk("<1>Goodbye cruel world\n"); }

     - compiled with gcc version 2.96 on Red Hat 7.1 with the 2.4.19
kernel.

      This is how I compiled and tried executing:

1) gcc -c hello.c
2) insmod hello.o

      - Jamie