> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:58:47PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
> > I'm scared of turning over too much of the system maintenance to
> > outside programs; I'm always left cleaning up the mess they make, and
> > I don't even know what they did.  I've vaguely heard of up2date, but I
> > thought it was part of the commercial services?
>
> You're allowed to setup a free account and use it to update your system,
> 'priority' access to redhat's server costs $. You might be interested in
> using apt, an excellent program finally freed from the world of debian
> (joking), upgrading and installing packages is as simple as:
> apt-get install <program>
> or
> apt-get upgrade
>
> You can also easily upgrade that 7.2 box to 7.3 by using:
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade

there's also a tool called 'grab' (www.runlevelzero.net/grab) which works
really well. it's basically a large perl script; and unlike apt4rpm, it
generates the dependency/provision databases itself. so you can use it
against arbitrary file repositories; and not just apt-ified ones.

I've just used it to upgrade a RH 7.2 box to a 7.3 box; and while it wasn't
painless (Redhat decided to make some changes like moving files between
packages, and changing the version number of one package from 2.2.2 to
1.0.0; which broke things); it does work.

it's a convenient for installing packages; and keeping your system up to
date. apt4rpm *may* work better for large upgrades; but I've seen apt4rpm
broken more often than not... grab at least is a lot easier to beat into
submission. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator