On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 17:37, Richard Hoffbeck wrote:

> internal mail is kept for 6 months while internal mail involving someone
> in sales is kept for 12 months. You need some way to determine if anyone
> involved with the message is in sales.

Saying this is impossible is like saying the sky is falling.  The
god-in-a-can "MS Domain model" isn't that special.  I've managed
'complicated' situations with user/group and netgroup files.  Generally,
if you need to be so fine grained that enhanced models are important,
its not very hard to implement it at the application level with
netgroups as the base.  Stating that the operating system requires hooks
to achieve this god-in-a-can effect is really not the only way to go
about this.

Writing an application to scan all drives for mailspools (or whatever
format mail is stored in) and then pattern matching against all people
involved isn't that horribly hard.  Neither is deleting the message out
of that 'folder'.  If you have a unix systems administrator who can't
figure this out in about a week at worst, they aren't systems
administrating.  Hell, one of our student workers wrote a tool to do
about half of this in a day, I think.  The undelete thing is easily
handled in clients by causing deleted messages to be hidden and
configuring the IMAP server to never accept expunge requests.

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/