On Tuesday 06 August 2002 11:32 pm, Erik Mitchell wrote:
> Hello,
> I've switched my mail account usage from POP3 to IMAP and have found
> that if I leave my desktop logged in from home I am unable to view my
> folders from work.
>
> Is that par for the course with IMAP, or is there something that I can
> do to allow access from more than one client at the same time?
>
> Thanks!
>
> EM

Depends on the mail storage format.  When all your mail is stored in a single
file (mbox format) then yes, that is about right. The problem is having more
than one process modifying a single file.  The problem was mostly solved by
moving to maildir format, where your mail is stored in individual files in a
directory, allowing an aparent abratrary number of processes to work on your
mail at once.

Note: If you stay logged in and you are using mbox format, new mail may not be
delivered, and will stay queued up until your mbox is unlocked.

Jay