Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 13:19, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > I'm dealing with an upgrade gone bad, actually, and I don't exactly
> > know *how* it went bad.
> >
> > I'm upgrading to glibc 2.2.4-27 (including the usual -common and
> > -devel; I don't use -profile).  In fact I have it running now.  rpm
> > --verify reports all three are installed fine.
>
> You did install with "rpm -U glibc-<blah> glibc-devel-<blah>
> glibc-common-<blah>", right?  rpm really should have prevented you from
> installing them one at a time, but I remember having all sorts of
> trouble once when I upgraded the library, but forgot to update -devel
> (but that was years ago).

Yes.

> > However, if I try to reinstall glibc using "rpm -U --replacepkgs
> > glibc-2.2.4-27.i386.rpm" I get "% post scriptlet failed", and if I try
> > -common I get "% pre scriptlet failed".  When the first, at least,
> > happens, *everything* stops working (well, presumably every program
> > that depends on the glibc dynamic library; in fact a couple of
> > staticly linked programs I found do still run).
>
> Perhaps you'd like to try going to another console (ALT-F2 or whatever)
> and running "while true; do /sbin/ldconfig; done" and then go back to
> the main console and try running the rpm installation.  I think you
> could also try using "rpm --noscripts ..."

Interesting idea on the ldconfig, haven't tried doing it continuously
(I've been working in single user mode, but I could put that in the
background, or go to multiuser and do it exactly as you suggest).

I thought the docs said noscripts applies only to --erase, but on a
closer look it does seem to be generally applicable.  I wish I could
get my hands on those scripts and see what they *do*.  I suppose I
should grab the source rpm and look at the spec file and dig them
out.  It *ought* to be possible to get them out of the binary rpm, but
I've failed to find them in the cpio file produced by rpm2cpio.

> Of course, maybe the scripts are just broken and things are all
> hunky-dory despite the error messages.

That'd sure be nice.  Unfortunately it's when I get those error
messages that all the dynamically linked programs stop working, so I
doubt things are that simple.  (And running ldconfig doesn't fix
them.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net