David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> "Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at techmonkeys.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 01:19:24PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> >
> > > I'm upgrading to glibc 2.2.4-27 (including the usual -common and
> > > -devel; I don't use -profile).  In fact I have it running now.  rpm
> > > --verify reports all three are installed fine.
> > >
> > > However, if I try to reinstall glibc using "rpm -U --replacepkgs
> > > glibc-2.2.4-27.i386.rpm" I get "% post scriptlet failed", and if I try
> > > -common I get "% pre scriptlet failed".  When the first, at least,
> > > happens, *everything* stops working (well, presumably every program
> > > that depends on the glibc dynamic library; in fact a couple of
> > > staticly linked programs I found do still run).
> > >

> > [snip]
> >
> > > I'm running now, but I believe my next upgrade will fail in the same
> > > way, so I'd really like to figure out WTF is going on and fix it.
> > > Anybody got a spare clue?
> >
> > Yes, I suspect you're using --nodeps and/or --force somewhere, that's
> > a bad idea, instead you should use apt, or up2date to upgrade all of
> > the packages that depend on $XYZ version of glibc at the same time.
>
> I didn't override any dependencies in the basic install.  I certainly
> have tried that when playing around trying to *recover* from the basic
> install, but the problem appeared without that.
>
> Given that *every* dynamic process died in the bad cases, I don't
> think it's a dependency of a particular program on a particular glibc
> version.  And the same dynamic binaries work when I copy over the
> binaries from my alternate root.

Well, what version are you upgrading from?  If it's a different so number, then
binaries linked against the old version won't work with the new.  Given that
the installation was built against the old version, it is very likely that the
cause of your problem is a version mismatch.  You can try installing the new
version, instead of upgrading it.

--Nathan Davis