florin at iucha.net (Florin Iucha) writes:

> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 12:37:57PM -0500, Karl Bongers wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 10:34:46AM -0500, Florin Iucha wrote:
> > > 1. NFS is not "file transfer", it is "pieces of file transfer".
> > >    Probably the most used RPCs are read(handle, offset, size) and
> > >    write(handle, offset, size).
> >
> >   Good points.  Probably a good argument against using NFS to transfer
> >   those 500MB files(A dedicated "file transfer" protocol should be
> >   a more optimized solution that will run faster.)  Silly me, what was
> >   I thinking, using a network file system to transfer files over the
> >   network :)
>
> Uhm... why?
>
> FTP and cp over NFS do the same thing modulo setting up and tearing down
> the "connection", which has negligible cost compared with transfering
> 500 Mb.

Not true.  FTP is implemented on top of TCP, which means there are
provisions for controlling flow to avoid overstressing any link along
the way, which means it works well for sending a continuous stream of
data, as copying a file.  NFS is mostly run over UDP, a connectionless
protocol, which has rather different characteristics (and there's no
"connection" to set up and tear down anyway).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net